Over-Age-50 Disability Claims
Downey Disabled & Social Security Benefit Attorneys
Southern California Disability Claim Lawyers
To receive disability benefits, the Social Security Administration must determine that your impairment is severe enough to prevent you from performing not just your past job, but any regular paying job. If you are over age 50, however, new Social Security regulations allow a more realistic look at your age, education and experience in determining whether you are disabled.
At the law offices of Judith S. Leland, our lawyers offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your over-age-50 disability claim. For your convenience, we have offices in Downey, Santa Ana and Ontario in Southern California.
Our lawyers have successfully handled over-age-50 disability claims for:
- Physical impairments such as repetitive stress injury, carpal tunnel syndrome, and knee and hip replacements
- Spinal disorders such as failed back syndrome and herniated discs
- Chronic impairments such as cancer, heart problems, diabetes, multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s disease
- Mental illness such as depression or schizophrenia
If you are over age 50 and no longer able to do your past job, it may be difficult to rehabilitate yourself to do other work. The Social Security Administration recognizes that you have probably done the same type of work for a long time and you may be less adaptable to new work situations.
Under the new Social Security Administration rules:
- If you are age 50, can’t do your past work and are limited to no more than sedentary work, you can be found disabled if you have no transferable skills to sedentary work. If your past work was unskilled or semiskilled and there are no sedentary jobs that require your previous skills, then you could be found disabled.
- If you are age 55 and over, can do no more than light work and have no transferable skills, you can be found disabled.
For an explanation of what constitutes light, sedentary, medium and heavy work, contact one of our lawyers.
Free Lawyer Consultation – No Fees Unless We Win
To schedule an appointment with an experienced disability lawyer, call 1-562-219-4156, or toll free at 1-866-764-0321, or fill out our simple contact form. There are no consultation fees and we charge no attorney’s fee unless we help you obtain benefits.